Based in Brighton, United Kingdom
April 20th, 2018
The Under Games is War for the Overworld's final expansion, and marks the first full narrative campaign since Heart of Gold. The player chooses from 4 playable Underlords (3 of which are new for this expansion), each with their own unique personality and playstyle, and enters a deadly tournament against their rivals. They'll be challenged by formidable new AI and game modes, encounter new items and terrain types, and experience new voice acting from Richard Ridings as Mendechaus, the bloodthirsty invigilator. The Under Games released alongside the gigantic free Patch 2.0, the largest update the game has ever received, which rounded off the game with rebuilt AI, new game modes, new Map Editor tools, and a remastered main campaign.
Early work began on the The Under Games following the Heart of Gold expansion. However, after Crucible came out it was put on pause to instead develop the fan-requested My Pet Dungeon, made possible because of WFTO's continued success. The Under Games was instead repositioned as the swansong for WFTO, developed to make the most of the new game modes and rebuilt AI, which were being worked on at the same time.
- New 7-level campaign tournament set across a variety of replayable game modes
- Choose new Underlords with unique playstyles and gameplay, then pit them against challenging new AI
- Many new Aspects expand your Veins of Evil, with new minions, defences, constructs, potions and spells
The Under Games Expansion - Release Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "The company has grown up, and War for the Overworld has repaired its reputation on Steam. At the time of publication, 85 per cent of recent Steam user reviews are positive."
- Wesley Yin-Poole, Eurogamer
- "If you've dismissed it at launch, it may be time to don your adventurer cap and take another look."
- Melody, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "Brightrock Games haven't stopped supporting the game ... In fact, they rolled up their sleeves, listened to feedback, and polished those old dungeons to a shine."
- Thomas Faust, IndieGames.com
- "There's plenty of opportunities to revel in your evil acts and enjoy the more sadistic aspects of being an evil overlord trying to overthrow the kingdom full of good guys."
- Robert N. Adams, TechRaptor
The Under Games Expansion & Patch 2.0 Now Available! - April 2018
A summary of The Under Games and Patch 2.0 release, covering all the new features and the accompanying Ultimate Edition. wftogame.com.
Patch 2.0 Release Notes - April 2018
A comprehensive list of all the changes made to the game in the gigantic Patch 2.0. wftogame.com.
Meet Underlord Lamash – The Rotting Reaper - April 2018
A teaser for one of the new Underlords introduced in The Under Games. wftogame.com.
2.0 Preview: Map Editor & Mighty Script - April 2018
A detailed look at the new scripting functionality that was added to the Map Editor in Patch 2.0, including a brief tutorial. wftogame.com.
2.0 Preview: Terrain Themes, Campaign Remaster & AI Updates - April 2018
A preview of some of the biggest changes to the game in Patch 2.0, covering new terrain themes, the campaign remaster, and the new AI. wftogame.com.
About Brightrock Games
Brightrock Games is a British independent game studio based in Brighton, UK, with a multinational core team of 15 people. Initially a small gathering of modders, enthusiasts and - most of all - gamers, the group first rallied under the banner of Subterranean Games, setting their sights o reviving a genre that AAA publishers had long neglected. United in a shared passion for the oft-overlooked dungeon management genre, Subterranean Games released War for the Overworld on PC, Mac and Linux in April 2015. With this critically acclaimed and successful game under their belt, the company name was updated to Brightrock Games to better reflect the team’s broadening horizons. Brightrock Games’ goal is to create genre-twisting strategy management games that tell engaging stories and push the medium forwards.
More information on Brightrock Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
The Under Games Credits
Josh Bishop - UK
Managing Director, Designer
Pierre-Arnaud (Nano) Boucher - France
Scott Richmond - Australia
Director, Producer, Programmer
Dan Atkins - UK
Dante de Glanvill - New Zealand
Stefan Furcht - Germany
Hugo González Rueda - Spain
Pat Hore - UK
Mike James - UK
Ciro Mihanovic - Croatia
Lee Moon - UK
Cian Noonan - UK
Tim White - UK
Jack Wong - Hong Kong