Based in Brighton, United Kingdom
May 27th, 2016
Heart of Gold is the first expansion to War for the Overworld, extending the original title with a new campaign, along with new Aspects, Dungeon Themes and terrain. Set in the aftermath of the original story, Heart of Gold follows the conquests of the gold-hungry Underlord Kasita as she wages war on the dukedom of Phaestus - a remnant of the Empire from the main game. The narrative continues to take place under the watchful eye of the enigmatic advisor, Mendechaus (Richard Ridings).
With the success of WFTO and its subsequent patches the team opted to expand the story with a new campaign, alongside a handful of new elements to extend and polish the gameplay, addressing player feedback in the process. It was also decided that Heart of Gold would constitute the Early Adopter Bonus for the main game, and as such it was free to the majority of the existing player base - including Kickstarter backers, Early Access customers, and anyone who bought the main game within the first month of release. Heart of Gold launched on May 27th, 2016. It was well received by players and press alike, being noted as a marked improvement over the main campaign, despite its fewer levels.
- Four all-new, fully voice-acted campaign levels played from the perspective of Underlord Kasita
- New Aspects of evil to unlock: Sentinel (defence), Aureate Monolith (construct), Gild (spell), and a new golden Titan - the Colossus
- Three new Dungeon Themes to unlock
- New terrain tilesets such as lava-filled caverns and lava falls, bringing the land of Phaestus to life
Heart of Gold Expansion - Release Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "The company has grown up, and War for the Overworld has repaired its reputation on Steam. At the time of publication, 85 per cent of recent Steam user reviews are positive."
- Wesley Yin-Poole, Eurogamer
- "If you've dismissed it at launch, it may be time to don your adventurer cap and take another look."
- Melody, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "Brightrock Games haven't stopped supporting the game ... In fact, they rolled up their sleeves, listened to feedback, and polished those old dungeons to a shine."
- Thomas Faust, IndieGames.com
- "There's plenty of opportunities to revel in your evil acts and enjoy the more sadistic aspects of being an evil overlord trying to overthrow the kingdom full of good guys."
- Robert N. Adams, TechRaptor
Heart of Gold Now Available - May 2016
A summary of Heart of Gold's and Patch 1.4's release content. wftogame.com.
About Brightrock Games
Brightrock Games is a British independent game studio based in Brighton, UK, with a multinational core team of 15 people. Initially a small gathering of modders, enthusiasts and - most of all - gamers, the group first rallied under the banner of Subterranean Games, setting their sights o reviving a genre that AAA publishers had long neglected. United in a shared passion for the oft-overlooked dungeon management genre, Subterranean Games released War for the Overworld on PC, Mac and Linux in April 2015. With this critically acclaimed and successful game under their belt, the company name was updated to Brightrock Games to better reflect the team’s broadening horizons. Brightrock Games’ goal is to create genre-twisting strategy management games that tell engaging stories and push the medium forwards.
More information on Brightrock Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Heart of Gold Credits
Josh Bishop - UK
Managing Director, Designer
Pierre-Arnaud (Nano) Boucher - France
Scott Richmond - Australia
Director, Producer, Programmer
Dan Atkins - UK
Andrew Bushkov - Russia
Hard Surface Modeler
Dante de Glanvill - New Zealand
Garrett Faith - USA
Stefan Furcht - Germany
Hugo González Rueda - Spain
Pat Hore - UK
Alistair McFarlane - UK
Jan Merzel - Germany
Ciro Mihanovic - Croatia
Lee Moon - UK
Tim White - UK
Jack Wong - Hong Kong