Based in Brighton, United Kingdom
December 13th, 2016
Patch 1.5: Trial by Fire and the Crucible mode expansion add significant new features to War for the Overworld, including the long-awaited overhaul of the Survival Prototype. Now players can challenge the evil mentor Mendechaus (Richard Ridings) in Crucible mode as he summons wave after wave of his abominable creations. The patch also delivers Gameplay Mutators, allowing players to tweak the settings of matches for increased customisation and longevity, and official community translation support so players can bring the game to territories not covered by the official releases. The update is free to all players.
Crucible began life as the Survival Prototype, created to demo the game at EGX Rezzed in 2014, with players facing waves of enemies that culminated in Porkzilla's "Aporkalypse". It proved hugely popular, with players returning again and again to try and top the scoreboard and win a coveted WFTO shirt. Then in February 2015, Kickstarter backers voted for an expanded version of the survival mode as part of the team's "Flex Goals". Plans were drawn up, and once the team had consolidated the core WFTO experience, the new survival mode was born. Crucible mode released alongside the highly-anticipated Patch 1.5 on December 13th, 2016.
- Six all-new levels designed exclusively for Crucible mode, which will push your skills to the brink
- Two unique challenges, varying from the scalding to the incinerating
- Leaderboards for each map and challenge combination, so you can see who of all the Underlords is the most long-lived
- Three powerful Lifeline abilities, should you enter into dire straits
- Three prestigious new Worker skins to unlock should you survive long enough
- Dozens of new units and variants including the Democorn, Mandalf the Maroon, and the Chunder King himself, Baron von Pukemuch
- Scores of deliciously depraved new voiceover lines from the exceptional Richard Ridings as Mendechaus, your enigmatic mentor and bloodthirsty invigilator
Patch 1.5 & Crucible Expansion Trailer - War for the Overworld YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "The company has grown up, and War for the Overworld has repaired its reputation on Steam. At the time of publication, 85 per cent of recent Steam user reviews are positive."
- Wesley Yin-Poole, Eurogamer
- "If you've dismissed it at launch, it may be time to don your adventurer cap and take another look."
- Melody, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "Brightrock Games haven't stopped supporting the game ... In fact, they rolled up their sleeves, listened to feedback, and polished those old dungeons to a shine."
- Thomas Faust, IndieGames.com
- "There's plenty of opportunities to revel in your evil acts and enjoy the more sadistic aspects of being an evil overlord trying to overthrow the kingdom full of good guys."
- Robert N. Adams, TechRaptor
Patch 1.5 Release Post - December 2016
A summary of Crucible's and Patch 1.5's release content. wftogame.com.
Patch 1.5 Preview 1 - November 2016
A look at the basic mechanics of Crucible mode. wftogame.com.
Patch 1.5 Preview 2 - December 2016
A look at the community translation tools of Patch 1.5. wftogame.com.
Patch 1.5 Preview 3 - December 2016
A look at the more detailed features of Crucible mode. wftogame.com.
Patch 1.5 Preview 4 - December 2016
A look at the mutator features of Patch 1.5. wftogame.com.
About Brightrock Games
Brightrock Games is a British independent game studio based in Brighton with a core team of nine people from around the world. Brightrock's goal is to create humorous and genre-twisting simulation games in which players can experience their own stories.
More information on Brightrock Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Josh Bishop - UK
Managing Director, Designer
Pierre-Arnaud (Nano) Boucher - France
Scott Richmond - Australia
Director, Producer, Programmer
Dan Atkins - UK
Andrew Bushkov - Russia
Hard Surface Modeler
Dante de Glanvill - New Zealand
Garrett Faith - USA
Stefan Furcht - Germany
Hugo González Rueda - Spain
Pat Hore - UK
Ciro Mihanovic - Croatia
Lee Moon - UK
Tim White - UK
Jack Wong - Hong Kong